Expand your own Liquid Culture mix Dextrose and Light Malt Extract (DLME)
This product has Corn Dextrose and Light Malt Extract. This is one of the best recipes to expand your own liquid as opposed to using just Honey, Karo or Glucose Syrup.
Explanation for using Light Malt Extract: When inoculating a grain spawn, it colonises much faster since the mycelium has been predisposed to the sugar from grain (In this case, barley). In the same way, when making Malt Extract Agar Plates (MEA), the colonization is considerably faster as the mycelium is already used to the sugar.
Your purchase includes:
– 100gm of Dextrose Light Malt Extract Mix
Note: Mycelium or Liquid Culture Jars are not included. Check out our other listings to add Mycelium and Liquid culture jars with Injection port and air filter vent. You can use these to expand your liquid cultures at home.
- For every 10gm DLME, add 500ml of water
- 100gm can make up to 5 Litres of Liquid cultures
- Ensure the Marble or Stirrer is inside the jar before sterilizing your Liquid culture medium.
- Once sterilization is complete, cool your jar until it reaches room temperature.
- Inoculate the Jar with clean Liquid culture and keep it in a dark space for 1-2 weeks for it to colonize completely.
- The Jar needs to be stirred using a magnetic stirrer (5 minutes) or using your marble to break up the mycelium in swirl motions 5-10 times.
- Be careful not to break your glass mason jars when swirling with Marble.
- Some sedimentation might be present at the bottom of the jar after sterilisation. It is normal.
The liquid culture mix can be used in many different cultivation techniques. Once you have prepared your LC mix, you may inject the liquid culture into sterilized grain jars/bags, agar Petri dishes, or even another jar containing LC mix to create more liquid culture. For aggressive strains (like oysters, Reishi) you can even use it to colonize substrates directly.